Do you Have extra milk to donate? Here are your options.
We are still accepting milk donations for the Colorado Milk Bank based on their guidelines.
Donate to the Mother’s Milk Bank of Colorado
High Country Lactation Care is a milk depot for the Mother’s Milk Bank of Colorado. Please start by visiting the Mother’s Milk Bank to learn more about the process here. After passing the health screening and required blood test, you can drop your milk off with us and we can take care of the shipping for you. Please feel free to call, (928) 556-0000, or contact us if you have additional questions.
Your milk may save the life of a baby in this region. Human milk is vital for the survival and health of many infants born prematurely or ill. Here are some of the reasons why donating human milk is such a huge gift:
- Human milk banks have existed in hospitals and other health care settings for more than 100 years.
- Benefits of human milk for infants include nutritional, immunological, developmental, social, economic and environmental as well as decreased risk of a wide range of illnesses and infections beyond infancy.
- Common reasons for a micro-preemie to receive human milk donations include prematurity, allergies, feeding/formula intolerance, immunologic deficiencies, post-operative nutrition, infections, and diseases.
- One ounce of a human milk donation can feed an infant in neonatal intensive care for a full day.
- Donors are typically married, in their thirties, financially secure, well-educated and healthy. Their reasons for donating have strong altruistic and benevolent themes. Donors give out of the goodness of their hearts expecting nothing in return.
- In 2012 the American Academy of Pediatrics released its statement on breastfeeding and human donor milk stating that donor human milk is the first choice when mom’s own milk is not available.
If you do not know of a local family in need here are some more links to places where you can post your milk for donation. All of the following human milk sharing resources are available via Facebook. When donating milk be prepared to be asked some personal health questions. Many recipients are savvy about ensuring the safety of the milk they seek.
Human Milk 4 Human Babies – Arizona
*We recognize and appreciate that human milk sharing is an age-old and widely used practice. We are delighted to support you in your search for a human milk donor-recipient and share with you our knowledge about doing it as safely as possible, but we cannot directly connect donors to recipients. Please check out Eats on Feets Four Pillars of Safe Milk Sharing for more info on doing this as safely as possible for all parties. https://www.eatsonfeets.org/safeMilkSharing